Welcome to the Bandera County Extension Office

Bandera County is located in the Texas Hill Country about 40 miles northwest of San Antonio and Bexar County. Bandera County is 792 square miles of rolling hills, scenic open land, magnificent cypress and cedar trees, lakes and rivers. The Medina River runs from the northwst corner of Bandera County southeast into Medina Lake. At the southeast corner of the county is Medina Lake on the county line between Bandera and Medina counties. There are two state natural areas: Lost Maples State Natural Area in the western edge of the county and Hill Country State National Area on the southern border of Bandera County and Medina County. The major towns and business centers in Bandera County are Medina, Pipe Creek, Lakehills, Tarpley, Vanderpool and the largest, Bandera.

At the time it was settled, around 1854, Bandera County was a remote frontier outpost where settlers had to protect themselves against Indians. In 1856, the first U.S. Cavalry troops arrived at Camp Verde, ten miles north of Bandera in Kendall County to protect the pioneers from Indian attacks.

Bandera, in 1856, was still under the jurisdiction of Bexar and Uvalde Counties. In 1857, Bandera County was organized in the 17th Judicial District. The Bandera County Courthouse was built in 1890-91. Bandera, the city, although established in 1854, did not become an incorporated city until 1964 and is still the only incorporated city in Bandera County. Bandera is known as the Cowboy Capital of the World and is very proud of its Texas heritage.

Medina, established in 1880, is an unincorporated town 14 miles north of Bandera. Medina claims the distinct title of Apple Capital of Texas hosting the Texas International Apple Festival on the last Saturday of July. Lakehills is an unincorporated area in southeast Bandera County established in 1854.

Our Mission: To provide quality, relevant outreach and continuing education programs and services to the people of Bandera County.